About Me

My photo
Susan retired from education in May 2011 and I retired in December 2011 . We are not full timers but do travel a lot. We enjoy traveling around the country. There are many beautiful places in the USA and we are going to try and see all of them while we can.

Sunday, September 10, 2017

August 28-Sept 10 Harvey got worst and Slow Recovery

This is just a small synopsis. We ended up with 48 inches of rain. Our house became an island but we didn't get any water in it. Looks as if two inches from weep holes on slab was as high as the water got. We were able to get out and make it to Liberty and stayed at my Moms. In town we never lost electricity. The Trinity River reached a record level in Liberty at 32.7  feet. The levee protecting parts of Liberty is 33 ft. After the rainwater went down we moved back home.Our flooding was from rain as the river doesn't bother us. We had to go an alternate route to get home because of the river. We were without power for 9 days. I had a generator for the water well and freezer and another for the house. We could run the fridge , tv, 2 box fans , coffee pot. We cooked on our little charcoal grill and I rigged up the propane fire pit to cook on. Our RV was at the deer lease so we didn't have it,,. Finally when we could get out,  we went to Kristi/Mike. They had about 4 ft of water in their house. It was a massive clean up effort. They are living with some friends for now. We also have other friends who have had their houses flooded.  Its devastating and there are just no words.
For us life has returned now to somewhat normal. For many people it will be months before normal becomes normal again. For some normal will not return, I'm only showing a few pictures as I really didn't take many and I will always remember what I saw.
Kristi yard after cleanup. I used my tractor to push debris to street for pickup.
View from Kristi yard down the street
Kristi yard
Debris pickup, I followed this guy with my tractor from yard to yard pushing stuff so he could reach it
Highway 90 between Liberty and Dayton
Highway 90 in Liberty. John Deere dealership flooded.
Down the hill from us. This is FM 563 and the boats launched here to rescue people. Trinity River flooding

Our driveway before we left 


Our front yard before we left
Our backyard before we left

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive