About Me

My photo
Susan retired from education in May 2011 and I retired in December 2011 . We are not full timers but do travel a lot. We enjoy traveling around the country. There are many beautiful places in the USA and we are going to try and see all of them while we can.

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Nov 27-Dec 2 Thanksgiving at the Deer Lease

I left for the Deer lease Wednesday morning. I had planned on getting there early but it was about 2 before I got there. After I got unloaded I started getting the smokers ready for cooking. Iuse a Brinkman electric smoker with a water pan. I was going to smoke a 20 lb turkey on one of them and I have never done one that big. It also was cold wi the temp getting down to freeazing by Thankssfiving monring. After researching times it looked like I needed at least 14 hrs for the turkey. I decided to put the turkey on at 5 pm ande smoke it all night.  I stuffed it and marinated it and put it on. I used hickory chips for the smoke.  The next morning I put the ham on the other smoker. Susan showed up about 10.am. Eddie and Becky Bird were already here and Becky was making he dressing. There daughter and son in law were coming for dinnere. Also Mikeand Kristi and the girls were comeing for dinner. Adam also showed up for dinner.  The food turned out great and the turkey was a hit. It was so moist it just melted in your mouth. Kevin/.Jen and Kyle/Kristen/Peyton showed up later that day.  It was the last weekend to shoot does. The weather was cold and burned a lot of wood. On Satruday evening John Callahan killed a non-typical buck with 19 points. It had palmetoo antlers and heavy beams. We had never had a rack killed like this before.I hope he gets it mounted.Pretty much everyone went home on Sunday. I came home on Monday and plan to go back Thursday.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive